Thursday, May 1st marks the beginning of Celiac Awareness Month. Celiac Disease (CD) is now considered a common auto-immune disease affecting 3 million people in the United States alone. Celiac Disease does not discriminate and can affect men, woman and children of all ages, races and ethnic backgrounds, and touches every corner of the world. Though more people are being diagnosed as a result of better trained (on CD!) health care professionals, accessible testing methods, and patient’s own health advocacy … many individuals continue to suffer with symptoms that unfortunately are not being connected to CD or Gluten-Sensitivity (some people are asymptomatic making it even more difficult to arrive at a proper diagnosis). On a positive note, individuals who are among the lucky ones (yes lucky!) to be diagnosed can begin to heal and our community now has more gluten-free restaurant and food options to choose from!
Spreading Celiac Awareness is a daily endeavor for many (Celiac Research Centers, National Celiac Organizations, Health & Wellness Experts, my fellow Celiac/Gluten-free Bloggers) but during the month of May, the Celiac community joins hands (albeit virtually!) to spread the all important Celiac (and Gluten-Sensitivity) messages to people around the globe:
1. Recognize the wide range of symptoms and associated conditions of CD and seek testing if needed; 2. Understand that CD is genetic …if you have been diagnosed, speak with your 1st and 2nd degree relatives about being tested (this will help with your dialog); 3. If you have been diagnosed with CD, share your story … you may be helping others seek a diagnosis; 4. If you are still experiencing symptoms after eliminating gluten, continue to advocate for your health!
– Guest Author Post, by Kate Hardie. Kate lives in the UK and is a mother of a child with celiac, as well as
author of a gluten-free family recipe cookbook. Kate shares her tips for raising a child with celiac.
– Resource Guide for all your gluten-free Cinco de Mayo celebrations!
– Exclusive interview with Chef Jehangir Mehta, executive chef/owner of two popular NYC restaurants
and the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness’ Chef Ambassador of their GREAT Kitchens program
– Fabulous Giveaways! (a copy of Dr. Alessio Fasano’s new book Gluten Freedom … products from the new
gluten-free line of hair/body products by Jason & Avalon Organics, restaurant gift cards & more!
Also check in with the National Celiac Organizations to see what they are featuring during the month:
National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (CeliacCorner is proudly listed in NFCA’s “The Heroes Within Us”)